Parker~Aubrey~Jeremiah~Lily~Samuel~James

Friday, March 27, 2009

Aubrey found a new hobby

Last year for my birthday, Parker got me a sewing machine. I was very excited when I got it, but since Jeremiah was only 4 months old and I had just gone back to work a couple weeks earlier, the sewing machine got put in our closet and hasn't been touched. Until now! I've been wanting to create something (having been inspired by President Uchtdorf) and since Jeremiah takes good naps and I have a little time to myself, I thought that now is the perfect time! On that same previously mentioned birthday, Jen got me a pattern and some fabric to make a little tote bag. . .



(Notice the pattern says "It's so EASY it's simplicity") To any experienced seamstress, maybe. To me, uh . . . My mom taught me some basic things and helped me make baby blankets when I was in high school. I took a sewing class at BYU-I like a million years ago (remember that Carina? And the teacher always called us the wrong names hahaha). In that class I made an ugly shirt, ugly pants, and an okay skirt. I thought making a tote bag would be pretty simple, and then I started reading the pattern. It took me reading over things multiple times, trying, picking out my stitches, and trying again, but I'm very proud to say that I finished it! And it turned out much better than the ugly pants and ugly shirt I made! It's not perfect, but it's mine! Look out sewing world, Aubrey's back!



And oh yes, it even has lining . . .

There you have it! Will I probably use it on a daily basis? I don't think so, but I had a lot of fun making it and having flashbacks of things my mom taught me about winding the bobbin and threading the machine, sewing straight lines, etc. And memories of days in that silly sewing class. Now I keep looking at things thinking "That doesn't look too hard. . . I could make that . . . Jeremiah's room could use some curtains . . ." Stay tuned for more of my creations! Speaking of creations, my cutest creation has decided he wants to have a blog too . . . :)

11 comments:

The Pingel Family said...

Good job on the tote bag! I am jealous. I got a sewing machine for Christmas in '07 and I have yet to personally use it. My sister in law is the only one to really test it out. I hope one day I will take the plunge!

Lindy Leigh said...

Great job! I am going to make some of those too!

Stefanie said...

Way to go Aubrey! That looks awesome.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carina said...

hat sewing class! Loved your description of the "ugly pants, ugly shirt and okay skirt". My items were similar, except all ugly! Like the skirt I couldn't even really walk in, the pants that had an inseam that made it slightly past my knees and the shirt that had one puffy sleeve because she helped me and only made it worse! She would always call you AuDrey. And so we'd repeat our names in every sentence. "Aubrey, could you pass me the pins." "Sure, Carina." "Thank you, Aubrey." Wow, memories.

Great lookin' tote! Class must have really paid off!

Bethany said...

Well done! So proud. So proud.

Fister Family said...

Good job ABJ! I have to ask Vicki to sew buttons on for me. It's really pathetic. Remember those scrunchies we used to sew in young womens? That was about as far as I got sewing wise. Mom wanted to teach me some basics when I was there last week, but we ran out of time. I think I am a slow study anyway:)

Pam said...

So cute! I am not a sewing person myself but my friend is going to teach me how to make pillow cases later this month :)

Stephen and Kjerstin said...

Good job Aubrey! It's super cute! My mom bought me a machine last year too...I got free sewing lessons at Joanns, but maybe I should just come to you! Ha ha! LOVE YOU!

Page said...

Good for you, I am sewing retarted! It's a talent I desire but sadly shall never have! Your bag turned out so cute!

Trey said...

That's so funny Aubrey! I got a sewing machine for Christmas this year and I've been using it a lot but mainly for pillows cuz I'm too nervous to mess up with an actual pattern. Good job! Oh - and I LOVED that talk too!